Are you also one of the users who wants to how to open MBOX file in Thunderbird account? If yes, then you are at the right place. The write-up deals with the manual and automated procedure to import MBOX in Thunderbird account without losing any data.
If a user has converted the email files into MBOX file format, he/she will feel the need to export the MBOX file in Thunderbird and access the email file in respective email service providers. Also, it is suggested to keep the backup of the MBOX file because it happens that while transferring the data, loss of information may occur.
Manual Procedure to Import MBOX File in Mozilla Thunderbird
There are two steps in a manual solution which help any user to transfer the MBOX file to Mozilla Thunderbird. These are:
- Download the messages using Google Takeout
- Establish the Import/Export Extension in Thunderbird
Let us study both the steps in detail
#Step 1: Using Google Takeouts
A user needs to go through the following set of instructions to open MBOX file in Thunderbird:
- You can download the selective messages with the help of Google Takeout. For this, you have to apply a label, for example, “emails to download”. All the desired emails are to be kept on this label.
- Navigate to https://www.google.com/settings/takeout
- Click on the option Select None. This is because Mozilla Thunderbird is only capable to store the emails. Other data cannot be stored here.
- Scroll down the page where you will see “Mail”, select the gray X on the right.
- If it is required to download only selective messages, select the option “All Mail”
- Select the option “select labels” if you have to download selective emails
- Check the labels accordingly to view MBOX file in Thunderbird
- Press the Next button
- Make sure you have not changed the file type and select the option of Create Archive
- The zipped file will be sent to you by the delivery method. By default, you will get an email. It will contain the link to download the zipped file. It will take some time depending on the number of the emails on the label.
#Step2: Using Import/Export Extension
This add-on will enable you to easily open MBOX file in Thunderbird and it also contains attachments along with the email messages. The procedure is described in a step-by-step manner:
- From the Mozilla website, download the Import Export tools add-on
- Click on the icon. Choose the option Tools followed by Add-ons and then, Extensions
- Press the Gear icon and select the option of Install Add-on from file from the drop-down list of options
- Browse the .xpi zip file you have obtained in Step 1 and click on the option Open. It will take a few minutes to process the zipped file. When it is complete, you can click on the option Install Now
- Close the Thunderbird application
- Start the Mozilla Thunderbird email service provider program again to open MBOX file in Thunderbird
- Choose the option of Local folders to gather the MBOX files there
- Go to the icon. Select the option of Tools >> Import Export Tools and then Import MBOX file
- Select the radio button Import directly one or more MBOX files, and then click on OK
- Move to the folders where you have saved the extracted files to be imported to Thunderbird. Click on Open
- The desired MBOX files will come up on the left-hand side panel of the Mozilla Thunderbird. This imported MBOX folder can be dragged to other Thunderbird account
Disadvantages of the Manual Solution
To view the MBOX file in Thunderbird, manual method do possesses some of the limitations which are described as follows:
- Technical knowledge is required to perform the workaround steps.
- Any mistake can lead to loss of data using manual solution.
- It is a two-step process, resulting in lengthy and time-consuming process.
Open MBOX File in Thunderbird Account using A Trouble Free Way
All the limitations of the workaround approach are overcome by the automated solution. This can be done with the help of the third-party software such as Thunderbird Import Wizard. According to the experts, it is the best solution to import MBOX file in Mozilla Thunderbird. Some of the benefits of using this utility are:
- Allows to import batch MBOX files along with the attachments in Thunderbird
- Single or multiple files can be opened using Select File (s) or Select Folder
- The folder structure is maintained after moving the MBOX files to Thunderbird
- Tool enables the user to view selective emails with the help of date filter
- Compatible with MS Windows 10, 8.1, 8 and 7 version of the 64 and 32 bit
The Final Words
It happens with many users that they have MBOX file and the email client they are using is Microsoft Thunderbird. Hence, it is required to open MBOX file in Thunderbird. To do this, manual steps with the help of Import Export add-on is described. But, it possesses some of the limitations like data loss. So, a third-party tool is also introduced to export MBOX file in Mozilla Thunderbird.